Home Depot can help you with Common Core Standards!

http://teach123-school.blogspot.com/

Did you know that your local Home Depot store can help you document Common Core standards?  I didn't either until Jennie Potter, one of my followers, gave me the tip.  In my Common Core Documentation kit, I give you ideas for documenting the C.C. standards which includes asking your parents for 3 composition books.  Jenn told me that Home Depot will cut the books in half for you.  Isn't that great!  I went to my local Home Depot today and they were more than happy to help.  Here's a picture of the end result:
http://teach123-school.blogspot.com/


Click HERE to read about my first post about documenting CCSS.

In my original plan, I told you that the magazine organizer (on the left)  that I bought at Target dollar spot would hold 10 books.  If you cut your books in half you can fit 25 of them in a basket (on the right). I think I bought this basket at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago.


Here's a revised parent note, which is included with the kit, asking for 2 books instead of 3.

The Documenting Common Core Standards kit is available in grades K-5.  Click below to go to my store if you would like to purchase a kit:


Once you click on my store there is a search option that you can use to find the grade level you want.

On March 28, I began a series called "3 Cheers".  Please read that post before you read the next part of this post.

Today I would like to introduce you to the dynamic duo of our V.R. (virtual reality) faculty.  Although this duo is new to our "staff" they can be counted on to add fun and merriment to our group.  Have you met Stevi and Tamara of 2 Crazy Texas Teachers?  When I asked for their favorite unit.  Tamara said, "I love teaching the farm unit to my kids because it's just so much fun and has endless possibilities."  I personally lived and taught for 13 years in south Texas, and I can tell you from first hand experience, Texans enjoy having fun which shows in their lessons.  Their farm unit is so large they had to divide it into two units.  Click here to visit their store:  TPT.

Professionally speaking, one of the most well-traveled members of our "faculty" is Arlene of LMN Tree.  Arlene is a military wife so she is well-versed in being the new kid on the block.  She has taught in Virginia, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, New York, and Alaska.  She is your "go to" person if you need tips in Title I schools, ESL students, struggling readers or any grade level.  In Alaska, she was honored by being named the State Teacher of the year.  Her travels and experience in teaching in a wide variety of states enrich the lessons that she writes.  Her current best seller are:  How will I know when it's Spring?  and  The Three Frogs.  















27 comments

Tammy said...

Going to Home Depot is a great tip. I've seen the idea of cutting composition books in half before but wasn't sure how to make that happen. Thanks!

❀ Tammy
Forever in First

Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts said...

Wow! This is a fabulous idea!! I was just lamenting finding enough room for all of the notebooks we use and never thought of this idea- plus, the hubs always loves helping with school errands when they involve Home Depot :) :) I have tons of those white bins, thanks for the pic to inspire me!

I saw this on Pinterest and I am your newest follower :)

~Stephanie
3rd Grade Thoughts

Busy Bees said...

I saw those composition books this past summer and wanted them to be cut, but had no idea how to cut them. Thanks for the info!! Now, I am your newest follower!!

Robynn
BusyBees

Michelle said...

I'm glad to pass along the message. It was one of my followers, Jennie, who told me. If anyone else has a tip, let me know and I'll pass it along. Thanks Jennie.

Michelle said...

I'm glad to pass along the message. It was one of my followers, Jennie, who told me. If anyone else has a tip, let me know and I'll pass it along. Thanks Jennie.

Casey Wiggins said...

This is really exciting! (I have wondered before how I would do this!) Thanks so much! :)

Casey

Second Grade Math Maniac Blog
Teachers Pay Teachers Store

Kathy D. said...

Where in Home Depot do you get these cut? Great idea, just can't imagine what tool they use. (Don't want to embarass myself in there! Lol!)

Melissa said...

For anyone who's gone and had these cut...do they just use a saw? I'm wondering if I can just get my husband to cut mine at home with his saw. Thanks!
F is For First Grade

Michelle said...

I went to Home Depot to have the composition books cut that are in these pictures. You go to the lumber section and find an employee who isn't busy. He/she measures the book and then puts it under the industrial saw. If your husband/dad/neighbor has a circular saw it would do the same thing. I taught with someone whose husband did this for her every year. But, this won't work with spiral notebooks.

Suggestion: I would only take a few in a time - may 10 at the most. If you take in your entire grade level's books, they might either refuse to do it or charge for it. I would also begin doing it now. If you wait until August, they may have an avalanche of teachers and quit doing it.

The guy I asked to do it was very nice about it! :)

Unknown said...

Wow! This is awesome!! I'm going to have to get my husband to do this for me for next year!

I found you on Pinterest and I
m your newest follower; I would love it if you'd come by my blog!

Nicole
Rowdy in Room 300

Lori G said...

Hey! This is a great idea. Quick question though... because these are sewn books, does cutting them in half cause them to "unravel"? I don't want lots of halves of notebooks if they are all coming apart! :)

Michelle said...

I did it for the first time - after one of my followers gave me the tip - a few months ago. So far, so good!

Primary Possibilities said...

Love this idea. We do not have a Home Depot near, but I am sure our local Lumber company will help. :) Thanks for the great information and site! We are your newest follower. http://primarypossibilities.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone please tell me how these are used to document the CCS? I understand that her TPT store has some labels that appear to be used inside the cut books, but I'm a little unclear as to how exactly they're to be used.

Is it for documenting each students' progress? Or as a notebook for the students themselves?

Thanks for any insight!

Cindy

Michelle said...

Hello Cindy,
I initially wrote about this system of documenting CCSS on my March 21st post. I've added a link to this page in case other teachers were unclear.

These labels are not for documenting students' progress. This is a system to ensure you have taught all of the standards. There is a chart with the standards that has columns so you can document the lesson/date that the standard was taught. If your principal wants to see evidence of the standards, your students can glue the standards' labels (or you can copy the labels on paper and cut them apart) in a composition book along with the activity/worksheet/response sheet, etc.

Thanks,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the explanation!

Kristen said...

We are switching to Common Core this year, so having something in place when I start the year is going to really make me feel more confident about what I'm doing! I do have a question, though! At the end of the year, what are you doing with the composition books? I also love the idea of cutting the books in half. Have you noticed that makes it any more difficult to glue papers/worksheets into as documentation?

Michelle said...

I think you've already figured out the drawback of cutting the books in half . . . the students' pages won't fit in as easily. It'll take some tweaking to glue students work in the half-books. I would use half books for either writing journals or when you have limited space or financial resources.

I would send the books home with the kids at the end of the year.

Good luck next school year!

Unknown said...

My hubby took the books into Home Depot last night and they said they wouldn't cut them (only had 6 books.) any suggestions where I might get tem done?

Michelle said...

I would ask at Lowes.

Em and Cam said...

We tried both lowes and home depot and they said no. Boo.

Kyle said...

I just called Home Depot and Lowes and they both told me "no." They said they don't have the appropriate tools and that their wood saw will shread the book apart. I called Office Depot and they said they could but for $0.75 a book. They have coupons every week that may apply to our request but man...would be nice to get this simple task done for free! We don't get paid enough as public school teachers!

sanrommel said...

Try your local Office Depot, Kinkos, Office Max, or such. They will cut with a paper machine really cheap. Any way here in NW Arkansas they do.

Unknown said...

use painters tape to mark where you want to cut the notebook. The tape holds the notebook closed so you can cut it evenly and not destroy the notebook. I use the half notebooks for journal writing as well as for daily math journal questions.

Lynda Williams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynda Williams said...

Terrific idea! I love notebooks! I never thought of cutting them in half. Very economical.
Teaching Science With Lynda

ReneeB said...

If you know someone with a saw (radial arm saw), it easily cut through the book. Took longer for to pull the car back out of the garage, clear the saw off, and turn it on.. than to cut the page.